Friday, August 15, 2008

thai tattoos and island paradise

So, I got a thai tattoo.

I wasn't really planning on getting a new tat, especially after the whole "What is that ugly thing you got in Spain? A mouse? A rat?"

And still, I am quite ambivalent about the whole thing. But, a tattoo, as you know, isn't something you can really change your mind about.

What is done is done. Right? Right.

It's on the front of my left calf, about halfway between my ankle and knee. Not too small, not too big. Probably just right.

Luckily, it was free...that is, aside from the medical expenses. And luckily I was drunk so I couldn't feel the pain. And even luckier am I that it didn't bleed profusely or require a tetanus or hep shot.

But that damn motorcycle exhaust just gets you every time. And gives you a 2nd degree burn. And will never let you forget that you once got a ride home from Teepee bar in Chiang Rai from a crazy Thai hippie who knew the words to the cheesiest American songs and could play them perfectly on his acoustic guitar.

Nope, that motorcyle exhaust is not forgiving. In fact, so evil are its ways that once called just an unfortunate, awful and painful burn to the leg is now given the great title, "Thai tattoo," and will be with you for years to come.

Hey, at least there's a story, right?

Well, my trip is also coming quickly to an end. I am spending my last days in Southern Laos on one of 4000 islands in the middle of the Mekong Delta--riding bicycles from island to island, spending cool nights on a hammock outside my bungalow and high-fiving little Laotian kids while they are playing with frogs and monkeys tied to ropes. Ah, heaven.

2 comments:

atn19 said...

Crazy how quickly 2 months fly by, no??? Never did get the CD from Bangkok. Will probably be quicker to just get it when Jess comes to Atlana over Labor Day weekend. Go figure.

pooj and jess said...

OMG!!!! i thought you actually got a real tattoo, you jerkface. =)

my former co-worker is actually going to seasia on monday and was talking about renting motos. i told her that it was a bad idea; everyone thinks it's so easy to ride a moto until they get branded.

also, i just found out that one of my co-workers was in seasia this summer! we totally missed each other. small world, dude.

you should post photos of your "tat" to discourage potential burn victims from doing anything stupid. ha.

enjoy your last few days!

love,
jess